Saturday, September 29, 2007

Week 4 NFL Pickoff

Hey Now. Back like I said I would be yesterday after I feel awful for completely misread the West Virginia-South Florida game. It doesn't help that Mos Def aka Pat White was hurt in the second quarter, in essence, taking away the running game from Steve Slaton. With that being said, the thing that killed West Virginia was their six turnovers. In any level of football, you can't turn the ball over six times and expect to win unless you have a great defense that can also create turnovers.

On a different note, how about those Cubs. It was an absolutely great game from Carlos Zambrano, which gave the Cubs seven solid innings, which allowed Sweet Lou to take him out without burning him out for the playoffs. What the Cubs clinching means is that it allows them to set their rotation for the playoffs with Zambrano pitching in the first game of the playoffs.

I really like the Cubs chances in the playoffs this year, and while I'll make my playoff picks once the seeds are set on probably Wednesday after I finish my last test, the Cubs are the early NL favorite to make the World Series.

But as we move into the best sports month of the year, there is a concoction of baseball, NASCAR, the basketball season beginning, soccer, and of course you have football.

On that, here are my NFL picks


 

Record to Date – 24-19-4

Raiders (+4) @ Dolphins – (My Pick = OAK 17 – MIA 16) - With Josh McCown injured, Daunte Culpepper steps in against his old team for the first time since he was released by the Dolphins over the offseason. With that being said, I think the Dolphins will struggle against the tough Raiders defense, and that will be the thing that decides the game. But on top of anything, I really don't know who's going to win. It's games like these that make me question why I pick all the games every week.

Texans (-3) @ Falcons – (My Pick – HOU 21 – ATL 10) - Matt Schaub goes up against his old team for the first time, just like Culpepper and Miami. I always wonder, not having been involved in one of these types of situations in my high school career, what it is like when a player goes up against his old team? In this situation, I expect that because Schaub did not start very many games in his tenure in Atlanta, that they won't have much information (like different tendencies that he has) to use against Schaub.

Ravens (-4 ½) @ Browns – (My Pick = BAL 27 – CLE 20) - I'm questioning this pick, mostly because I don't think the Ravens are all that good on offense. But we're going to give the Ravens one more week, and if they once again can't cover a point spread, we'll pick their opponent next week.

Bears (-3) @ Lions – (My Pick = CHI 23 – DET 14) - The reason I'm picking the Bears isn't because I am confident in their defense or the insertion of Brian Griese into the starting lineup. I just really want the Bears to play well and win.

Packers (-3) @ Vikings – (My Pick = GB 20 – MIN 13) - One thing will cement Brett Favre's resurgence, and that is winning in his personal house of horrors, the Humphrey Dome (if that's what they still call it). What I think about this game is that the Vikings are really offensively challenged, especially in the passing game. In turn, the Packers defense looks like one of the best in the league, and it is the defense more than Favre that will win this games for the Packers.

Rams @ Cowboys (-13 ½) – (My Pick = DAL 38 – STL 10) – St. Louis is a mess, and the Cowboys offense looks very, very good. This is a recipe for a blowout, and I also haven't picked a home team yet, so here is the pick.

Jets @ Bills (+3 ½) – (My Pick = NYJ 20 – BUF 17) – I'm sticking with my faulty sleeper covering this week, but I'm sure they won't. It's too bad that the Bills this season, because of all the defensive injuries they have had. Now they have Posluzney go down with a leg injury, and the Bills are in severe disarray. With this being said, I really don't like the Jets team, and I think they won't cover the point spread, and they could very well lose this game in upper New York.

Bucs (+3) @ Panthers – (My Pick = TB 23 – CAR 21) – After this win, I think the Bucs will announce themselves as the team to beat in the NFC South. Wow, I can't believe I just said that.

Seahawks (-2 ½) @ 49ers – (My Pick = SEA 24 – SF 13) – The Seahawks come out victorious in this game because of their defense will shut down the weak offense of San Francisco. The only thing that could hinder Seattle is turnovers by Matt Hasselbeck, but I don't think that will happen.

Steelers (-6 ½) @ Cardinals – (My Pick = PIT 31 – ARI 21) – I'm picking a lot of road teams, but I feel very good about this pick because the Steelers are playing very well. Even though Hines Ward is out this week, I'm looking for Willie Parker to effectively carry the ball often for the Steelers, and soon to be breakout wide receiver Santanio Holmes to pick up the receiving slack.

Chiefs @ Chargers (-12) – (My Pick = SD 27 – KC 7) – The Chargers are going to force Damon Huard to beat them through the air. Do I think he can do it? The score says it all.

Broncos @ Colts (-10) – (My Pick = IND 31 – DEN 10) – The thing that stands out in this game is the fact that the Broncos are owned by Peyton Manning and the Colts, and the Indianapolis defense looks like one of the best in the league right now. These two reasons are why the Colts will come out victorious.

Eagles (-3) @ Giants – (My Pick = PHI 24 – NYG 17) – The Giants are a mess, and they had no business winning last week's game against the Redskins. But they could easily beat the Eagles because both teams are so very inconsistent. The fact that I've picked so many favorites to cover this week is driving me crazy, but I'm going to once again pick the road favorite to cover with the Eagles and Donovan McNabb.

Patriots (-7 ½) @ Bengals – (My Pick = NE 41 – CIN 31) – The Bengals defense will have to force New England into at least three turnovers. But they won't and the Patriots will light up the scoreboard.

Here's my picks. A lot of favorites and a lot of road teams. And as I write this I'm also listening to the Iowa-Indiana game and Indiana just scored their second touchdown. Iowa's in serious trouble.


 

No comments: