Saturday, September 1, 2007

ME vs DI - Round 1

2007 College Football – Week 1 picks

Each week I will pick seven of the most talked about and most interesting games of the week on the college football schedule. I will pick the same games as the writers in the Daily Iowan pick.

Without further ado, here are my picks without much explanation.


Note: There are no point spreads


Iowa vs. NIU – in Chicago - My Pick: Iowa 31-NIU 17. I don’t know anything about NIU except for they are 0-9 against big ten opponents when they open their season against them. So - in my estimation -that’s good enough.

Georgia Tech at Notre Dame – My Pick: ND 35-GT 27. A tough pick to make considering the only player I know on either team is Tom Zybikowski. But I’ll go with superior coaching and the likes of Charlie Weis and Notre Dame.

Missouri vs. Illinois – in St Louis – My Pick: Mizzou 31-ILL 28. Ron Zook can’t coach. It’s that simple.

Florida State at. Clemson – My pick: FSU 31-Clemson 24. This is an extremely dangerous game for FSU who must start the season much better than they have in recent seasons. I believe they win the all important first game of the year by beating an extremely talented Clemson team. Also: Watch out for safety/linebacker hybrid Myron Rolle this season for FSU.

Tennessee at California – My Pick: Cal 42-Ten 14. I’ve heard that Volunteer quarterback Erik Ainge has a broken finger and Tennessee has a bunch of injured players? If that is the case, the 28 point margin should be increased.

Washington at Syracuse – Not applicable because the morons at ESPN have begun to overexpose college football by showing games every night of the week, including Friday nights. So I’ll pick a game equal to this one on Saturday, and that game is…

Colorado State at Colorado – My pick: CSU 24-CU 20. An absolute guess.

Oklahoma State at Georgia – My pick: Georgia 31-OK State 10 I forget the last game the Daily Iowan had and I threw the paper away, so I’m going to say that the paper had a close game like the Oklahoma State and Georgia game.

Note: I look forward to going against the Daily Iowan this year in the college picks, and I promise to actually get the games they pick into my blog in the Saturdays to come. Also expect pro football picks in the coming weeks with one on Wednesday for Indy vs. New Orleans, and then the rest of the NFL picks next Friday or Saturday depending on my work load with school and writing this. Also look for the completion of the NFL previews within the next two days. Also look for more baseball coverage – especially on the Cubs.

I’ve realized that for sports, the months of July and August are terrible. But thank God we are moving out of august and into September and October (the best sports month of the year).

No comments: